Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Encouraging Others

Sometimes I get so caught up in seeking out my own encouragement, that I forget that others could use my encouragement as well. It happens, we spend so much time worrying about ourselves and our walk with God, that it doesn't occur to us that those closest to us could use a little boost. Maybe it's a spouse, maybe it's a friend or family member, and maybe it's a church leader or a pastor. I was reading Deuteronomy today, and I came upon a command to Moses from God about encouraging someone else. Moses was feeling bad for himself. He had led the Israelites away from Egypt, and here he is on a mountaintop talking to God, and then he learns that he is not going to make the entire journey. He is not going to get to arrive in the land that they've been struggling to reach. He got a little annoyed with God, and begged that he would be allowed. Instead, God told him this:

"But commission Joshua, and encourage and strengthen him, for he will lead this people across and will cause them to inherit the land that you will see." Deuteronomy 3:28

Moses was so busy worrying about himself, that he forgot to look to the others that were with him. Joshua was going to be God's chosen leader for the Israelites, and rather than worry further about himself, Moses was going to have to put his strength and energy into building up the new leader for his people.

May we do a better job at taking the time to look around us and see the struggles that need encouraging. May God open my eyes to seeing where encouragement is needed, and then giving me the words I need to give that encouragement.

No comments: