Thursday, December 20, 2007

Your Thoughts

"Then Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother: "This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against, 35so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too." Luke 2:34,35

These words were spoken when Jesus was just seven days old. When babies are born today, people will often hold a young child and make comments about what they're going to do when they are grown. Usually they're things like "you're going to be a great lawyer." or "look! An artist!" These words spoken by Simeon are a tiny bit different from that...don't you think? And his words are completely true as well.

Just this week in a city in my area the nativity scene has been debated. It's been put up at a city hall, and it's being questioned as being offensive to some. For a few days it was debated to have people from other faiths be allowed to put up their symbols of the season. In fact, a Wiccan wreath was also up for a few days. Those words from Simeon were glaringly obvious this week. He has truly become a sign that people speak against. One of the things that has boggled my mind is that so many people say they celebrate Christmas- but not the nativity. Isn't that an oxymoron? How can someone put up lights and a tree and give gifts and make cookies and still not believe in Jesus? How can you go through the motions and celebrate a holiday without celebrating it's meaning? That's truly no different in my mind than if I'd suddenly decided to celebrate Kwanzaa. Sure, I can do some group dancing and give gifts and light candles for eight days, but what would be the point? It would become glaringly obvious to anyone around me that I wasn't really celebrating Kwanzaa with my thoughts and my heart, but with my actions.

So then we see that more of what Simeon has said has become true- it does become obvious where someone's heart is very quickly. Those people who ask the nativity to be taken down clearly do not have their hearts placed with God now do they. This is an opportunity to pray for these people and ask the Holy Spirit to show them the error of their ways.

There's something else I've noticed about Jesus as a sign. He is the only one that is asked to be taken down. No one ever asks the holiday symbols of other cultures to be taken down- just the symbols that represent my Christmas and my God. That makes me sad. That we have come to this point- and it also points out another part of Simeon's prophecy. That a sword will pierce our souls as well. It should pierce our soul every time we see another battle over the nativity scene. And every time someone wishes us Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas it should stir up something. It's Christmas! If you take away the Christ, all you're left with is the mas. I don't think I want to be celebrating that one.

No comments: