Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Wonderful Psalms and the Sunday Box

There's just nothing like a few Psalms to put a few smiles on my face. It's in the Psalms where we see such joy in the Lord, such devotion, and a great reminder that the best thing we could do with our day is spend time praising God.

"My heart is steadfast, O God,
my heart is steadfast;
I will sing and make music.

8 Awake, my soul!
Awake, harp and lyre!
I will awaken the dawn.

9 I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations;
I will sing of you among the peoples." Psalm 57:7-9

"Praise the LORD.
Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
his love endures forever.

2 Who can proclaim the mighty acts of the LORD
or fully declare his praise?" Psalm 106:1-2

Doesn't that first few verses just make you want to get up and dance? Praising God is not just something that should be reserved for Sunday- and it's not just something we do with music. It most certainly can be done with music, but praising God should be done every day of the week- not just Sundays! I often wonder if that's why Sundays always recharge me so...because I don't remember to praise God all week long, and then Sunday, I do just that. I imagine that Sunday morning fullness of joy would last all week if I would just make the effort to do a little praising on the side...you know?

And while I'm on the thought about God on Sunday, why is that? Why do we confine God to Sunday? Sure I do my Bible reading and prayer time during the week, but it's usually neat and tidy and all wrapped up so I can tend to my day- there's no room for flexibility. But on Sunday...on Sunday the whole day is opened up to his possibilities- we go from church to small group, and often the whole day is taken up with discussing life as a Christian and worshiping together. Perhaps it's time to break out of the Sunday Box and worship God on a different day? I think I have a start here on this blog, but I think I need to take it a step further. How, I'm unsure, but I do know that I don't want God in a box in my life. I want him out of the box, so that I may be in His Presence every day of the week.

"Praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD, O my soul.

2 I will praise the LORD all my life;
I will sing praise to my God as long as I live." Psalm 146:1-2


No comments: