Friday, December 28, 2007

Rest!

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

I think this verse is perfect for this time of the year. When so many of us have gotten so busy with the holidays, doing this and that and everything we said we wouldn't do this year. It doesn't take much to become frazzled and over scheduled. That in turn leads to short tempers, crabbiness, and an overall general unwillingness. I guess when I am faced with way too much going on, I just plain become unpleasant to be around. Thank God for his rest. When we've realized we've had enough, we can always turn to God and ask him for help. We can ask him for help realizing our commitments, and for help in making wiser decisions about future commitments. And he follows through every time.

But first we have to suck up our pride and admit that we've made a mistake. That trying to be superwoman was a bad idea and that we truly do want his help. I swear to you, I've seen it happen. Back around Thanksgiving, I realized that we'd really committed ourselves. We had three weeks in a row of an insanely busy schedule, and nothing we could do about it except follow through. I spent a few days praying about it before it got here. I turned to God and really asked him for strength and help and guidance to meet our commitments. But I didn't only ask for that, I also asked for help meeting our commitments with joy. And sure enough, I met all the commitments head on, and enjoyed every second. And then, when it was all over, I was in God's hands for a time of rest. I've been in his hands ever since. The last three weeks have been a most blessed and wonderful time of rest and rejuvenation. I was able to completely enjoy Christmas without a care in the world, because I turned to the Lord and asked him for rest.

God's rest is an amazing thing. Not only do I feel rested, and like I've had plenty of time to enjoy my family, but I am ready to go. I feel rejuvenated and like something is coming around the corner for me to sink my teeth into, and that I'll be fully ready to tackle it. I can't wait! And I know that with God's help, I will keep focused and will be able to choose to do that which is important to me, and also be able to say no with grace. There is no better lesson to learn than that, and I look forward to trying it on in the new year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you heard of Steve Green? He sings a song called "Rest." I think it's the best one on the CD. "Rest. The Lord is near. Refuse to fear. There is no need, for needless worry. With such a Savior, we have no cause to ever doubt His mighty pow'r, fills every hour." Some of these words are wrong or missing, but you get the idea...the melody just sings peace and rest as well.