Monday, December 31, 2007

New Beginnings

"This is what the LORD says—
he who made a way through the sea,
a path through the mighty waters,

17 who drew out the chariots and horses,
the army and reinforcements together,
and they lay there, never to rise again,
extinguished, snuffed out like a wick:

18 "Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.

19 See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert
and streams in the wasteland." Isaiah 43:16-19

These verses today are a reminder- a reminder of who is in control. The first few verses mention great things that God has done in the past. I mean, really, who else could hold back water and part a sea long enough for an entire nation to cross it. Then this same God released the water at just the right time that the enemy following was destroyed. Our God is amazing and can do anything-literally. There is nothing too difficult for God.

Then we look on to verse 18 though, and this is what made me think this verse was perfect for today. "Forget the former things, do not dwell on the past." As we close a year and look ahead to the next, it is nice to look back and remember the time behind us. But it does us no good to dwell on it. It does us no good to look back and wish we'd have done something differently. All we can do is look back, remember that which we have learned and use that as we move forward.

"See, I am doing a new thing!" How exciting is that! Tomorrow we begin a new year- a new opportunity to do our best. A new opportunity to share God's Love with those around us. God doesn't want us to dwell in the past- he wants us to look forward. He doesn't want to miss the excitement that is just in front of us! Next year, 2008, is going to be an amazing year! How can it not be! With God at the front of us leading the way, I know he is steering us into some great things for next year. I am eager, and ready, and I literally cannot wait. I feel like a kid in a candy store- giddy with anticipation. So as we close out the year of 2007 I will smile, look back and see all the challenges we met head on and wonder in amazement how we did all that. I will hold in my heart all that I have learned and hide it away so that it might be used in the future. And tomorrow a new day will dawn, and a new year. A new opportunity to get it all right. What an Awesome God!

No comments: