Thursday, November 01, 2007

A Goal

"I will sing of your love and justice;
to you, O LORD, I will sing praise.

2 I will be careful to lead a blameless life—
when will you come to me?
I will walk in my house
with blameless heart.

3 I will set before my eyes
no vile thing.
The deeds of faithless men I hate;
they will not cling to me.

4 Men of perverse heart shall be far from me;
I will have nothing to do with evil.

5 Whoever slanders his neighbor in secret,
him will I put to silence;
whoever has haughty eyes and a proud heart,
him will I not endure.

6 My eyes will be on the faithful in the land,
that they may dwell with me;
he whose walk is blameless
will minister to me.

7 No one who practices deceit
will dwell in my house;
no one who speaks falsely
will stand in my presence.

8 Every morning I will put to silence
all the wicked in the land;
I will cut off every evildoer
from the city of the LORD." Psalm 101

This Psalm was written by David. And as I read it this morning, I thought, Wow! This is a man who loves his God with all his heart, I mean, just look at some of what he's saying here! "No one who speaks falsely will stand in my presence" and "I will set before my eyes no vile thing", and this was before the age of television and movies and media.

These may be pretty high standards, but maybe they are something to think on and think about reaching towards? Look at verse two, "I will walk in my house with a blameless heart". That's really quite the statement. You know, I have this realization that I am human, and I am constantly failing to please God. Every day perhaps there is something I could have done better. I could have been nicer to that person in line at the store, I could have helped that lady with the door. I could have spoken up when someone talks about having a rough day and let them know that I'll pray for them. And I know that every day I fall short, but the idea of not falling short...of walking through my house with a blameless heart is a goal worth reaching for.

I am reminded of the Planned Acts of Christian Kindness. Have you ever received one of those or seen one in action? It's like a random act of kindness, only first of all, it's not random, and it's also accompanied by telling the recipient that you're sharing the love of Christ with them. And that's what makes me think. What could I have done better yesterday to share the love of Christ? What can I do better today to share the love of Christ? What can I do tomorrow to share the love of Christ? Perhaps if I spend some time walking around with that mindset, then I will be able to get just a hair closer to "walking in my house with a blameless heart."


No comments: