Friday, October 19, 2007

To Delight

"Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 27:4

The last several weeks, it's been no coincidence to my husband and I that just about every time we hear a verse from a Bible it speaks to us in a "wait and see" standpoint. Some of them also talk about patience, and every single one also talks in spades about God's provision, both the practical provision, and then like today's, where he does provide our wants as well. When I saw today's verse, I have to admit, I felt like throwing up my hands and screaming in frustration. Something like "Okay God, you win... but get on with it already would you!"

We were just talking about this yesterday, because we're in a state of limbo, and all we literally can do is wait on God and see what he has in store for us. Andy has next week left of work, and that could very well be it. And part of that is extremely frustrating, because he has been looking earnestly for a new job. He's put out resume after resume, but no one's calling. Yesterday he sent out 3 or 4 more. He sends them out, and we pray about it. But one thing we have both decided- he is being proactive. He's doing what he can and waiting on God for the results. And because he is not sitting around doing nothing about it, and because he does know that God has something AMAZING for him, we are both going to just pray and wait. The right resume has gone out, and when he needs it, God will provide the phone call that will change everything for the better.

So back to today's verse (I know, I'm kind of rambling today,but I have a lot on my mind.) First of all, it's a cause-and-effect verse. (Doesn't that take you back to grade school!) The first part tells us what to do, "delight in the Lord" and then there will be a result from that. And here's my question to myself- and to God I guess- today. Am I delighting in the Lord? IS there more that I could be doing to delight in God? I don't know, to be honest. I think that this is going to take some introspection today... And then there's the second part of this verse- after you delight in Him, HE will give you the desires of your heart. Wow. Just wow. So what are the desires of my heart? Well, I sure hope that God knows, because some days I don't. Some days I want different things than I do on other days. There are a few constants right now. More than anything right now, I want my husband to be happy with his work. I want him to have the job that truly makes him happy, AND enables him to support his family completely, so that he doesn't have to worry about needing gas in his tank, and not having the money for it. Things like that. I want my children to have everything they need, and a few of the things they truly want. And right now, I want to be able to go Christmas shopping the way I want to go Christmas shopping. I don't want to have to shop with an eye on the price...I want to be able to shop with each person in mind, to get them the one thing that would delight them and bring them joy.

God knows this. I know this. And I pray with all my heart that he will grant me the desires of my heart and that he will show me how to delight in him more. Because he is our provider- he gives us everything, time, money, food, love, it's all from him, and without him, we are nothing.

No comments: