Friday, October 12, 2007

Thinking About Marriage

"So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate." Matthew 19:6

"But did He not make them one,
Having a remnant of the Spirit?
And why one?
He seeks godly offspring.
Therefore take heed to your spirit,
And let none deal treacherously with the wife of his youth." Malachi 2:15

"And the LORD God said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.” Genesis 2:18

This morning I have marriage on my mind. I don't know that these verses accurately portray what I am thinking this morning, but it's still on my mind. A few months ago we learned of the divorce of a young couple who had gotten married just a few months before us. We celebrated our marriages together and spent a lot of time together until kids came along and we both got busy. And while our friendship is a thing of the past, I just can't imagine what brought this couple to dissolve their marriage. How bad could things have gotten for them to call it quits?

Then yesterday we got another phone call from another friend. One of the last couples we'd ever expected to separate has begun a separation. These people were a model for us when we got married! Yet somehow over the last several years they've drifted apart and allowed other things to come between them and their love for each other.

What gives? I can't even begin to fathom a day without my husband, let alone be contemplating a life without him. Right now I guess I'm being given a reminder about how wonderful marriage is, and how my husband and our relationship together is a gift from God. And maybe we're an example of how a marriage can be if God is involved. God keeps us centered and keeps us focused on each other and our family. I wonder if God had been more a part of our friends' marriages would they all still be together?

So today I am completely thankful to God for my husband. He truly is a gift, and as long as I remember that, and remember to appreciate him, I think we'll be okay. God is great. He gives us examples like this to remind us to appreciate that which we have. And this morning I certainly do.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that one of the reasons you are unable to fathom not being with your husband is the fact that you seek God and His direction daily. I don't think there is much way for a marriage to truly be successful without the help of God. He has to be the center of the relationship. I'm not married but pray constantly that my marriage will be centered around God and that by seeking Him, my husband and I will grow nearer to each other. I also pray that I would be patient and follow my husband as he leads our family through the guidance of God.