Thursday, October 04, 2007

Isn't it true

"Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth." Proverbs 27:1

This was the Verse of The Day today, and all I could do was agree this morning and think to myself, isn't it the truth. Do not boast about tomorrow, because you have no idea what the next 24 hours are going to bring you before you get to tomorrow. How many of us have had a planned day ruined because of something unplanned happening. I think being a parent we have a lot of these. Nights where we end up awake half the night with the kids the night before an event. Or not being able to do something we'd really hoped to do because someone got sick. It happens.

This verse is a reminder to live today for today, and not for tomorrow. When I think about it, I think of the days that we just "go through" to get to the next one. Maybe wasting a boring day because we have something grand planned for the following day. Instead, maybe we should be making the most of the day we have before we get to tomorrow. It's an interesting notion to think about. Today is already going to be a great day for us. We have the honor of picking up my parents from the airport today after their pilgrimage to Israel. I just can't imagine the stories they have to tell from their trip, and while I could be looking ahead to the day we will be able to get together and hear all about it, I should enjoy today, and the mere moments of providing transportation. Maybe in our earnestness to get to the next moment in time, we miss so many other great moments.

This is a reminder to stop and smell the roses before moving on to the tulips down the lane. May I be mindful of opportunities that I would otherwise miss.

No comments: