Monday, October 15, 2007

God's Time

"How great you are, O Sovereign LORD! There is no one like you, and there is no God but you, as we have heard with our own ears." 2 Samuel 7:22

Our Sunday night group has been studying the issue of time management. What started out as a thought on doing a study on something simply practical has turned into something so much more. It's obviously a study that was placed on our hearts for a reason, because we're getting hit with it every day. Even the Sunday morning sermons we've been hearing have fit right in with our study time.

The one thing (if there is one thing) so far that has really struck me is that in order to better manage our time, we need to realize where our time comes from and treat it accordingly. This may be a simple thing to think on at first, but think about it. If time comes from God, how should we treat it? Oh my...so much better than we do, that's for sure. Every moment we have is a gift from God, and what does it say when we waste those moments? What does is say when we spend our days lazing around doing nothing. It's nothing short of shameful, in my opinion. But that doesn't make it any easier to utilize the time more wisely. Those distractions are still there. The sofa is always calling...the computer is always there, blinking in the corner, begging for a quick peek. The TV is always waiting to be turned on, with 170 channels of nothing to tempt.

There is no God like our God. None. He is Great and deserves as much time as we can give him. Now, that doesn't mean that every second of every day needs to be spent in prayer and Bible reading and service. That can be good, and some people are called to that, but it's the other things. As I clean my house I should do it with a song in my heart because I'm doing what God wants me to do. As I care for my children, instead of being angry about being interrupted, I should be oh-so grateful for another moment where my children need my attention. This morning as I clean up the kitchen after a great evening fellowshipping with friends- old and new alike, I can be grateful for all the dishes to wash up, as it means that we were with Jesus last night. "Where two or more are gathered..."

Time is precious, as we have no idea how much of it we have. God gives us the time we have, and it is so important to use it wisely, and be mindful of where it comes from in the first place. Perhaps that is the key to better time management.

No comments: