Monday, September 03, 2007

The Persistance of a Godly Woman

"In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers." Proverbs 31:19

This is another verse in reference to the woman's work with thread and cloth. The distaff and the spindle are both items used in the production of thread and fabric. This verse is just further proof that the Godly woman does not waste her time- she uses it all, even the evening hours. And as a result she is able to take better care of her family. Because she works in the evening hours, she is able to clothe her family, cover her beds with blankets, and make clothing and other items to sell and bring money into the household.

Wow. This really makes me think about my evening hours. A normal day finds me eager to relax in the evening. The kids get tucked into bed, and then Andy and I sit down and chat, maybe watch a little something together, but we don't DO anything. Sometimes I will work on a menu plan during that time, or I'll cross stitch, or I'll read a book. It's generally my down time at the end of a busy day. And while I will agree that we often need time to relax and unwind, perhaps I can be more conscious of also being productive during that time. Maybe I could save my laundry folding for that time and fold the daily washing. Or I could use that time for something else. What, I don't know. I have always wanted to learn quilting, and that would be a good time of day to do that type of project. And quilting could benefit more than just me and my family- I could make quilts for other people or for missionaries or for those in need. Interesting to think about. I think that for now I can pray that I will be more mindful of my time. Be more open to doing more in the evening than just relaxing and vegging. I can also use that time to be productive.

No comments: