Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Listening to the Holy Spirit

You know... that tug, that prompting, that voice in your head that says "don't.." or perhaps it's the voice that says "yes, do that with all your heart." Or "See that? So and so needs it. Buy it for them." Sometimes that voice isn't rational, or doesn't make sense, but it is important to listen to it. I hear that voice most often when I'm thinking about shopping. I've come to trust that voice and listen to it. When I'm thinking that I need something, and I should go buy it, I'll hear a voice that clearly says no, stay home today. And I will. That voice has helped me many a time stay away from temptation. That's the Holy Spirit talking to me. Once upon a time I asked God to help me stop my crazy shopping habits, and he's helping me through the Holy Spirit.

"For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. 12We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us. 13This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words." 1 Corinthians 2:11-13

"But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." John 14:26

"But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. 21Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life." Jude 1:20-21

I've learned to be open to what the Holy Spirit suggests. Someone will come to mind and I will feel a need to pray for them. Most times, I never find out if that prayer was needed or if that person was going through something. Yet it's still a learning process. At church right now we are learning to be generous... I think we also need to be generous with our prayers and our heart. It takes mere seconds to lift up a heartfelt prayer to God, and that's what he wants from us. He wants us to pray for others and pray for those in need. Yes, he wants us to help them as well, I'm certain about that. And by learning to listen to the Holy Spirit, perhaps we can better hone in on what someone truly needs. Maybe they just need an ear to listen to them- so we need to be generous with our time sometimes too.

The Holy Spirit is our guide. Our helper. When in doubt, we can ask the Holy Spirit for help. "Holy Spirit, help me make this decision, should I or shouldn't I..." It's wonderful to me that God gave us this Holy Spirit to help us in times of decision making.

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. 27And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will." Romans 8:26,27

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good one, Was just searching on how to listern to the Holyspirit. found your artical useful. God Bless you!!

Unknown said...

Yeah thanks! i really do appreciate the whole passsage there! Yes, this is like really, really useful!

Unknown said...

thank you for the article! it was really helpful to me on one of the ways to listen to the Lord. God bless you!!!! #teamJesus

Anonymous said...

GOD bless you dear