Thursday, September 06, 2007

A Lesson In Elegance

"She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple." Proverbs 31:22

I like this verse. It gives me a picture of this Godly Woman. Even though it is written well before the time, I just envision a woman from England. A woman of status, because those women carried themselves well at all times. They would never been seen outside the home in a state of disheveled-ness. We see here that this woman not only takes care of her home and her family, but she also gives some attention to herself. This is important! Not so much the idea of dressing up and looking proper when out of the home, but more the idea that she takes the time to give herself some care. I remember growing up, my Mom would never leave the house without her make-up. Even a quick dash to the grocery store meant that she needed her make-up. She needed to look presentable when she left the home.

Last year by the end of the school year I was running Abigail to school in my jammies because I just didn't care enough to get up early enough to ready myself. And I see right here, plain as day that I should take that five minutes and give myself some attention. I should make sure my hair is brushed at the very least before exiting my home.

There is also a note here in this verse about my home. She makes coverings for her bed. This tells me that her home itself is presentable to guests. It's homey and hospitable. Back in the day, homes frequently had a parlor- a sitting and receiving room that was always kept in tip-top shape so that guests would always have a comfortable and neat room to welcome them into someone's home. Sadly, we've gotten away from that. Personally, I would love to have a parlor. A room that has been made especially cozy so that guests in our home always feel welcome. While I can't add on to my home and put in a parlor, I can try harder to keep my living space neat and orderly. Is my furniture comfortable for our guests? It could certainly be better, but I do think that when people come to our home they are comfortable.

Something else to keep in mind here is that a woman who presents herself as beautiful will be seen as beautiful.

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. 4Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight" 1 Peter 3:3-4

When this woman leaves her home, she wants others to see her and know that she is the wife of her husband. That she can make him proud . Just think about this woman strolling through town with a song in her heart. Her face will reflect the beauty that is within, and that combined with her choice in elegant, but not ostentatious clothing reveals quite the woman. Even if I can manage just a little bit, I would love to pursue excellence in God's eyes by paying closer attention to my home and how I dress.

No comments: