Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The Kindness of a Godly Woman

"She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy" Proverbs 31:20

This verse speaks right to my heart. I am always trying to think of ways to help those in need. Always. I am constantly adding groceries to my cart to take to the local food pantry- I figure it's the least I could do. The hardest thing for me is during the lean times, when every penny counts I still want to do what I can to help others who need it. Recently the Lord has opened my eyes to a way I can still help despite meager resources, and I'm looking forward to putting it into practice. That will undoubtedly be the subject of future posts, so I won't spoil that now. But it's amazing how when you ask God to open your eyes to the need around you, it's suddenly visible.

This passage in the Bible has been on my mind a lot over the last week or so.

8 Then the word of the LORD came to him: 9 "Go at once to Zarephath of Sidon and stay there. I have commanded a widow in that place to supply you with food." 10 So he went to Zarephath. When he came to the town gate, a widow was there gathering sticks. He called to her and asked, "Would you bring me a little water in a jar so I may have a drink?" 11 As she was going to get it, he called, "And bring me, please, a piece of bread."

12 "As surely as the LORD your God lives," she replied, "I don't have any bread—only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. I am gathering a few sticks to take home and make a meal for myself and my son, that we may eat it—and die."

13 Elijah said to her, "Don't be afraid. Go home and do as you have said. But first make a small cake of bread for me from what you have and bring it to me, and then make something for yourself and your son. 14 For this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the LORD gives rain on the land.' "

15 She went away and did as Elijah had told her. So there was food every day for Elijah and for the woman and her family. 16 For the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the word of the LORD spoken by Elijah." 1 Kings 17:8-16

This verse has been on my mind because once again, Andy is facing a very early seasonal lay-off at work. He's really struggling with what the answer is as far as work goes. And we're both struggling because it is on our hearts to just give and give, and if he's not working, there is nothing there to give. Yet according to this verse, there will always be something to give. What I love about this passage in 1 Kings is that it is a true miracle. It is a true example of what placing your faith in God can do. I have faith that God will continue to provide for our family- regardless what happens with Andy's work. I have complete faith that if the time came, my jar of oil would stay full and the bucket of flour would always have flour in it. What's important is to continue to give to those who need it- and to open our eyes to the many needs around us.

The Wife of Noble Character would add a little more water to the soup and welcome a stranger to dinner any day of the week. I remember my Mom doing that often growing up. She would have just enough for our family in the oven and invite someone to dinner who needed it. And then she would find the makings for strawberry shortcake in the freezer or a forgotten bunch of potatoes in the bin. And there was always plenty with leftovers for Dad's lunch the next day. True miracles can happen every day, but we need open hearts and minds to see them.

No comments: