Friday, September 07, 2007

A Godly Woman is Helpful

"Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land." Proverbs 31:23

Behind every great man is a great woman. The city gate is where business transactions were frequently conducted, as well as many manners of judgment. This man is able to see to business and whatever needs his assistance in the community because he know his household is in good hands. I imagine it would be awfully difficult for a man to get much work done outside the home if he had to constantly worry about what went on at his home. So in this way, a Godly woman is helpful. She helps her husband be the best he can be by relieving him of the burden of household affairs.

This woman also helps her husband by being encouraging. She encourages him to be involved in their community, to sit as an elder and help in matters of judgment. Perhaps from time to time the wife can offer tidbits of wisdom or guidance when a particularly trying matter comes to light. No doubt, she also prays for her husband daily.

Aiy. I suppose this is something to work on. One wouldn't think so, but when I think about the guts of this verse, I do need to work on it. I am often hesitant when Andy says that he is going to do this or that after work, or participate in something church related that takes him away from home too often. I like him at home when he's not working, and the kids need time with their Daddy. However, there can be a balance, and I would do well to remember that. I do consider myself to be supportive for the most part, but I am always hesitant when something new comes up. This verse is a good reminder for me that sometimes God may be speaking to my husband to do something, and I need to trust my husbands judgment and support him in his choices.

No comments: