Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The Farsighted Woman

"When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.' Proverbs 31:21

Ooh, this verse fills me with fire this morning! Really. It totally makes me want to jump up out of this seat and do everything I can to prepare ahead of time. It makes me think about the pantry and larder that I've been slowly trying to build up , and I realize that we are not prepared for an emergency. That's what this verse is about. This woman has no fears or worries for her family when snow falls, because she thought ahead and saw to lay in provisions- both food and clothing to care for her family until the snow melts. To some people this may not seem important, but it sure does to me. Did you know that the new federal guidelines suggest that all Americans have three months worth of food on hand? Three months! That's a lot. After Hurricane Katrina, it's easy to see where the need for that type of provision comes from. We are nowhere close to having three months worth of provisions on hand, but I can tell you that I have been aware of that and been praying about it. I've been praying heartily for the ability to lay in what we need for times of need.

The first priority from this verse comes in preparing for my family. Having food, water, clothing, blankets, etc. enough for my family for a while. But I think there is more here. If we add in yesterday's verse, I should also have provisions that I can provide others with help as well. You have no idea how many times I've dreamed about opening up an assistance center at church for those in need. Something similar to a St. Vincent de Paul around here- a little store-like area where families who have nothing can come in and choose clothing for their family and take it for free. A place where a mother can come in and pick up two bags of quality groceries- as well as take a cooking lesson or two in how best to prepare those foods for her family. And I have no doubt that someday I will be able to do this. I know that God has placed that desire in my heart for a reason. In addition to the assistance center, I want to have a community garden where those who can't afford or don't have the ability can help plant garden vegetables, tend them, harvest them, and share them with others- as well as receive a lesson in how to prepare that produce.

One of the names of God is Jehovah Jireh, which means "God Will Provide." By being a farsighted woman and planning ahead and preparing, I am striving to be more like God. That is an amazing thought. By using what God has blessed me with in the ability to plan ahead I am also blessing those around me who benefit from that. That's a double blessing!

"Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!

7 It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

8 yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest." Proverbs 6:6-8

No comments: