Saturday, September 08, 2007

Creativity Abounds

"She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes." Proverbs 31:24

In other verses I've read leading up to this, we see that this woman works with thread and fabric. She starts from scratch. She makes the threads first. Then she weaves some threads into fabric, and some threads she leaves as thread for sewing. She makes warm clothing for her family, and she also makes warm bedding for them as well. She makes clothing to sell to others, and it's not just any kind of clothing. She makes linen- one of the finest fabrics, and turns linen into fine clothing to sell. Not just anyone can work with linen- it takes skill and practice and careful fingers to turn linen into beautiful garments and belts.

By using her creativity this woman is showing one of God's characters. He Created...so when she creates, she is actually saying that she is creating because God created, and because he's blessed her with the ability to be creative. And by really digging into this verse, we also see that once again, she is resourceful of her time. And something to note, is that with time, activities and busy things become easier. I think to my days costuming the high school musical. For one show I needed to make twelve poodle skirts. Having never made one before, I was careful with the first one. I took my time and learned how to do it. One skirt probably took me four hours to do and attempt to do it properly. But by the time I got to the last skirt of the twelve, I was zipping through them. I was able to make a very nice skirt in just a short amount of time- maybe 45 minutes or so to completion. So while this woman did take the time to learn in the first place, over time her creativity becomes like a second nature to her, and she is able to use her time even more. Maybe instead of making one elegant sash she is able to put together five of them. Or maybe she is able to use her time for other uses.

One of the things that this verse tells me is that we can be wise with the choices we make every day. And it does come down to our choices.

"How long will you lie there, you sluggard?
When will you get up from your sleep?

10 A little sleep, a little slumber,
a little folding of the hands to rest-

11 and poverty will come on you like a bandit
and scarcity like an armed man. " Proverbs 6:9-11

"He who works his land will have abundant food,
but the one who chases fantasies will have his fill of poverty." Proverbs 28:19

So will I choose to use my time wisely. Will I choose to put my creative juices to work to better myself, my family and those around me? It comes down to a blatant choice. I have to choose to get up in the morning. This week I did just that, and I tell you the truth, my day went much smoother when I was up earlier getting things ready before the kids were even awake. But to choose that every day is going to take some work and some diligence, and yes it is incredibly tempting to hit the alarm and re-set it for later in the day. Very tempting. It will take work and determination on my part, but with the wife of noble character to inspire and guide me, perhaps I can manage.

No comments: