Friday, September 14, 2007

Character Counts.

"Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all." Proverbs 31:29

This verse is a follow-up to yesterday's verse. These are the actual words the husband says about his wife. This is the praise that he bestows upon her. Essentially he is saying that many women do their tasks and do them well, but because of her character, this woman is the best. His wife is above all the other women because her character makes it that way.

Let's look at many of the character traits we've discovered throughout these verses.

A Godly Woman is:

Valuable
Trustworthy
Good
Eager
Industrious
Resourceful
Entrepreneurial
Strong
Profitable
Persistent
Generous
Creative
Busy
She brings her husband honor
Hard Working
Meticulous
She has dignity
Wise
She is not idle

And tomorrow we learn how she fears God. Wow. What a list! This essentially is a portrait of an amazing woman. When I look over this list first of all I am amazed that all this is contained in Proverbs 31. Secondly, I see many areas to work on. I suppose that's a good thing and one of the many reasons to study the Bible. To me, the ones that I most need to work on are not being idle, being industrious, and tied for third would be strong and eager. It's interesting to me that all the ones that I need to work on tie in with being busy- keeping myself busy and not lazy. And while it's good to point out what I need to work on, it's also good to point out those which I think I excel in. And those would be resourceful, creative, and generous. I hope that with hard work, perseverance, and some assistance from above, that one day I can excel in all of these. And most importantly, that even if I don't excel, that I keep at it, that I am persistent and keep trying to reach the ultimate goal of being a wife of noble character.

No comments: