Monday, August 13, 2007

Where does Scripture Come from?

"16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16,17

Since I've started actively studying my Bible (almost a year now!) I've noticed something. I remember an awful lot. Re-familiarizing myself with God's Word has refreshed my mind of verses that I memorized so long ago, or passages in the Bible that I always enjoyed reading. During church the Pastor will use a verse as reference, and I know the verse that comes before or that follows. Or I'll know the context that it was written in and I'll smile because I know what it is referring to.

It's helpful to me sometimes as I'm reading to think about this verse in 2 Timothy. As I'll be reading something and pondering it. Even though the physical Bible was written down by men, it was actually from God. All scripture is God-Breathed. Every word in this Bible was written down because God spoke it into the heart of the man doing the writing. I think about the wisdom books of the Bible- like Proverbs. What a treasure that God thought to share with us all those little nuggets of wisdom! And even as I've been reading through Genesis over and over, there are many things that I look at and go, "now why did God want that in the Bible?" There's a lesson to learn from everything.

I am so grateful that God inspired me to pick up my Bible and start reading more often. And while I've been doing it for almost a year, I still don't know what this blog is about, but I'll keep at it until I feel that I can stop. I'll just keep reading, and sharing what is in my heart. I thank God for that desire.

No comments: