Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Oh The Discipline!

"She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household.
and plan the day's work for her servant girls." Proverbs 31:15

Gosh, this is the dreaded verse. She rises before dawn...that's really early!! Yet every day, this woman rises first in her household to prepare the morning meal for all, and also to plan out the day ahead. This verse really couldn't have better timing for me. Next week we return to school, so that means that we all need to get up much earlier in the day. And of course, I've been lamenting the loss of my sleep in days. Why oh why can't I let go of my sleep! Well, I'll tell you, a lot of the time I'm tired. I'm a mom , of course I'm tired. And I often think that last little bit of sleep will help me out. Even today, I woke shortly before six this morning, but I forced myself to toss and turn until shortly after seven- a more humane time in my mind.

Yet I end up loving the days that I do manage to wake early. I manage to get a lot of things done before the kids are even awake, and when they get up I'm ready for them. On the days where they get up first, when I do rouse myself, they are at me right away, needing attention, food, etc. My day is much more peaceful when I am the first one awake. As it is, a typical day for me is to wake up, get the kids breakfast, and then I spend my time with my devotional and then my time blogging, and by the time I'm ready to even think about planning for the day ahead, a few hours have gone by. I've wasted a portion of my day by sleeping. But according to the Godly woman, if I rose first, I would have everything accomplished early in the day, and a full plan for the day, and THEN my household would rise. Imagine having a hassle free day because you know what needs to be done well ahead of time.

I so need to work on this. I really need to work on this. I don't necessarily need to wake before dawn- or even before my husband leaves for work. But I do need to face the beginning of my day better. A Godly woman accepts discipline and knows that nothing of importance happens without a plan.

No comments: