Friday, August 17, 2007

A Nightmare!

I had a truly vivid nightmare last night, and I thought I'd share it here this morning. I was here in my hometown, and all my family and friends were around. And I was busy running around from person to person, looking for who had the answer for me. The question I was needing an answer for was what was God's will for me? It was so vivid! I would run up to someone and ask them if they knew God's will for me, and they'd laugh and send me to someone else. I had people tell me that I had no business seeking God's will. And I had people tell me that I couldn't handle what God's will for me actually was. Then I had people look at me like I was crazy and turn away from me. At the same time, I was also busy trying to scrape together enough money for new furniture because our house needed to be in tip-top hospitable shape for some reason. And every once in a while my kids would be there needing something strange like new underwear or a drink of white milk when all that was available was chocolate. Totally bizarre! But completely vivid. I still remember feeling desperate and frantic as I was running from person to person asking what my purpose was.

So what was the purpose in my dream? It certainly was a doozy. Because also intertwined with the dream was Andy, who continuously was telling me that he was going to be a Pastor and I would be a Pastor's wife, and I kept telling him that that was not what God wanted, and we were butting heads on that point. And as the dream went along I finally stopped. I was standing outside the gas station (in high-heeled boots of all things) when I stopped looking for a real person and literally asked God what my purpose was, and he told me that I was going to be the Pastor-not my husband. And I remember that at that moment in my dream, I was filled with peace for knowing my purpose, and also awe for such an important calling. And then the dream got all weird about my sofa changing colors when I left the room.

And while it was all just a dream (and no, I don't feel called to preach- lol!) it was a very vivid reminder. As we are busy looking for our purpose in life, we can look to other people for help- but they can't give us the answers. Only God can give us the answers. And yes, sometimes those answers come through another person in a message from God- but we can't look to other people for the purpose in our life. What is one person's calling is not ours. And one person's experience with answering the calling is not another's. We would do well to remember that God's Will for our lives is just that-God's,and we need to seek him to find the answers.

" in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:6

No comments: