Thursday, August 30, 2007

An Energetic Woman

"She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks" Proverbs 31:17

This woman provides a great visual today! Just read that verse again! I kind of get a vision of a working woman- the one with biceps to mess with, the woman with her hair tied back in a scarf and a determined look on her face. I see women from other countries who do back-breaking work all day long to help support their family. There is one thing they all have in common in my mind. And that is that they don't complain about their work.

There are two forms of energy at work here in this verse I think. First we have the mental energy in the first part of the verse. She sets about her work vigorously. That tells me that she is determined to accomplish her work to the absolute best of her ability. Her mind is alert and ready to go. She has a positive attitude about her work as well and I get a strong sense of her mind frame as she prepares to work. The second form of energy is her physical energy. Her arms are strong for her tasks. This tells me that she works hard on a regular basis- regular enough to strengthen her body's muscles for their daily tasks. Over time, I imagine her tasks become easier and easier as every day she is strengthening her muscles with her repeated tasks.

My goodness do I want that energy! I want the mental ability to desire to attack every task with such fervor! And also the physical energy to physically attack ALL the work I have to do in a day, rather than picking and choosing and then spending much of my time relaxing, or worse, spending my time sitting and pondering what I could be doing, yet I lack the energy to get it done. This woman certainly is a treasure to behold. The amount of energy she has is nothing short of amazing! I know that after paying attention to this verse I WANT her energy- both mental and physical. Why is it that I seem to fit right into the stereotype of the homemaker who is always tired? Certainly I always have something to do- but I want so much to break that stereotype. To find enough hours in each and every day to get my work done and be able to spend quality time with my children. I want the energy to set a great example for my children and to be able to address every single need without the weariness that seems to invade my brain as the day moves on.

Today's verse presents a goal- now I just need to work on a solution. How to attain the body and mind of this Godly woman. I suspect I have some work ahead of me.

No comments: