Monday, July 16, 2007

God even gave us diversity in food!

I have to say, I think I don't like the study guide I've been following and posting with. It's just so...textbook like. I think it's also designed to be more a fill-in the blanks with a group discussion behind that, because some of the questions they ask are complete blanks for me. I don't know. The past two days I spent re-reading some of it, and seeing if I picked up on some of those unknowns for me, and I'm just not convinced. So even though I promised Noah today, I want to talk about what's on my mind. And if I get back to Noah, it will likely be without the study guide. Unless someone out there is truly enjoying the last week. Please let me know- this blog does allow anonymous comments, so your anonymity will be assured if you wish to comment.

Anyway, I've been reading a rather dull book over the last day. And while it is dull, one of the main characters pointed something out that made me smile, and it does fit in with what we've been studying in Genesis. And that is the subject of food. Quite simply put, God made us to enjoy food. He could easily have made us to exist on grass, or a simple vitamin, or even nothing- giving us what we need from sunshine alone. Instead, God gave us the wonderful senses of taste and smell (which are completely intertwined). God also gave us an amazing variety of foods to put into our mouths. Think about it- think about squash for example. How many varieties of squash are there? From summer squash to winter squash, there has to be at least 50 varieties. God didn't need to do that. He could have given us one squash, and instead he gave us dozens of varieties, each with their own characteristics.

I love thinking about that. That God designed us to enjoy what we eat- and he gave us the raw ingredients we need to prepare something wonderful to eat.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3

"But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that" 1 Timothy 6:8

Food sustains us and nourishes us, it gives us the nutrients we need to keep our bodies healthy and strong. Our God is a kind God to give us the means to enjoy those nutrients. I can't help but think about a protein bar in this case. Have you ever eaten one? They're really not tasty at all. Yet, many people eat protein bars because they lack the desire and the time to prepare something healthy to eat, so they get their nutrients from something that is not delicious. God could have given us feed like cattle- given us "protein bar trees" from which to pick mundane food. And since God gave us all these wonderful foods and ingredients to enjoy, I can say that I think God wants us to enjoy life as well.

We have a great God whose mind is endless and full of endless possibilities. I love that he created food not just for our sustenance, but also for our enjoyment. What a great God- and what a fun thought to start my Monday morning with.

No comments: