Thursday, June 21, 2007

Where do you dwell?

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty." Psalm 91:1

This verse brings me such peace. Every time I read this verse a sense of calmness literally washes over me. He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High... let's start with the first part of the verse. The shelter of the Most High is available to anyone who wants it and asks for it. In this case, to me, the shelter is talking about their overall-ness of life (If that makes sense). Our family is under the care of God. Period. Andy and I have submitted to God's Will and allowed him to be the Master of our family. He is our shelter, our protector, an ever-present help in trouble. So yes, we are dwelling in the shelter of the Most High.

The result of where we dwell is a biggie to me. Rest. No really, for a busy Mom, rest is a big deal. I never get enough rest. Even my sleep at night is with one ear open so I can hear if a child needs my attention. As a result, it's been a long time since I've physically felt like I've had a real rest. I am certainly used to that by now, and I welcome the feeling because it means I ma a busy mom, and I wouldn't have it any other way. But this verse promises rest! And not just a good night of sleep, "rest in the shadow of The Almighty." When we are weary and tired we can rely on His Protection, we can rest, knowing that he is taking care of our needs and will watch over our family and our children.

Think of a hot summer day, and you find a large sprawling tree with plenty of shade. You've been walking for a long time, and the tree is so inviting and looks like a great place to rest. So you lean against it's trunk in it's shadow, sheltering from the blazing sun, and giving your tired feet a rest. That's a peaceful moment, a time of great joy. That's how it feels in the shadow of The Almighty. Only this shadow not only shelters you from the heat, and gives you a soft place to rest, it also protects you from other elements and wraps it's loving arms around you in a state of eternal protection. That is a powerful image, and a peaceful image. When your day is long and tough and you just don't think you can make it another hour, you can thank God for his shelter and step inside. He will give you what you need to make it a little longer, and he will give you rest when you need it most.

What a Great God we truly have.

No comments: