Friday, June 22, 2007

He Knows Your Thoughts

"Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, "Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts? 5Which is easier: to say, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Get up and walk'? 6But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins...." Then he said to the paralytic, "Get up, take your mat and go home." 7And the man got up and went home. 8When the crowd saw this, they were filled with awe; and they praised God, who had given such authority to men." Matthew 9:4

As I was reading this passage today, the very first line totally struck me. "Knowing their thoughts..." Just think about that. Jesus knew the thoughts of those who opposed him- they didn't need to say a word, but he knew anyways. The same holds for us today, sometimes we just don't remember it. God does know our thoughts, and what do you think he thinks about our thoughts? I imagine this is a place of struggle for so many people...our thoughts are private for one. The thoughts I have about my neighbor are mine alone- no one else knows what I am thinking, so it really doesn't matter what I think- right? Wrong. The Lord knows what I am thinking about my neighbor. He knows.

There can be other ramifications for your thoughts as well. How long will it be before one of those thoughts you shouldn't be having slips out in conversation? If you harbor the bad thoughts, they fester. They grow, and the one not-so-nice thought you had about your neighbor becomes a whole laundry list of complaints, and how long before you share those thoughts with another neighbor? Then there are two neighbors thinking bad thoughts, and so on, you can see where this is going.

And while I am calling this whole issue of thoughts to my attention today, it doesn't mean I have a quick solution either. It's obviously come to my attention for a reason, so I need to think on it and pray on it.

No comments: