Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Delight Yourself!

"Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4

Do you know what the desires of your heart are? I bet you think you do. I used to think I did too. The desires of my heart used to revolve around comfort. I wanted a house, I wanted financial security, and I wanted more stuff. I wanted my children to be happy above all, and I wanted to be able to provide them with their happiness. But allowing myself to really examine the desires of my heart over the last year or so, I've discovered that those desires are not real. Those were superficial desires, and I want so much more. I do still want my children to be happy, but more importantly, I want them to feel secure. I want them to know how much their father and I love them, and that we'll care for them, no matter what. And that we will take care of all their needs with help from God. And while I guess I do still want a house, I just want to be happy with my home, and right now I am. As to the financial security, part of me does want to not worry about money. But not in a sense that is beneficial to me. I want to be able to give. I want to be able to support missionaries out of our pocket, and I want to be able to provide when there is a need at church. Part of me wants to be able to sponsor a whole village in an undeveloped country, help get food ans supplies to them, that kind of thing.

I guess the whole point of today's rambling is that we don't always know the desires of our heart. We may think we do, but God is the one who truly knows what we want. He knows what is in our hearts and he is a Great God who wants to provide us with those desires. He wants us to delight in his presence, sing for joy, and simply ask him for those desires. By simply asking for the desires of your heart, he will provide. But the desires he provides may not be what you think they should be at the time. (If that makes any sense.) But be assured, they will be the desires of your heart through and through. He is a loving and kind God, who wants us to be happy.

"He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me." Psalm 144:2

"O my Strength, I sing praise to you; you, O God, are my fortress, my loving God." Psalm 59:17

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think so often we think, oh...God will give me what I want, but the key to this verse is to delight in the Lord. I think when we TRULY delight ourselves in the Lord, our desires become what He wants for us.