Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Time In The Garden

Yesterday we had a hot steamy day. I wanted to seize the opportunity to spend the day outside, so Zander and I went off and purchased my tomato plants and some annuals so I could spend the day gardening. It was wonderful. Zander helped for a little while, but mostly it was just me working the dirt. As I was planting the tomatoes I was thinking about how amazing tomatoes were. How wonderful it was that I was planting this four dollar plant, and later this summer it will be brimming with luscious vine-ripened tomatoes, given the right care. How wonderful is our God to create such things, and to allow me to take pleasure in them!

Every day I walk around our gardens and admire the life beginning to grow. I recall how just a few weeks ago, these plants were simply seeds, and how in a few short months, they will be fruits and vegetables. I cannot wait for the harvest, but I know that my patience will be rewarded. If I were to pull a radish now, there might be a bite there for me to try. But if I wait another couple of weeks, they will be plump and juicy and full of flavor. My patience will be well rewarded.

The flowers I planted in the front yard are already looking lovely this morning. They obviously enjoy being in the ground instead of in their confining pots. The view of our house from the street and driveway is important to me. I want it to be warm and inviting, so guests know they are welcome in our home. Our yard is simply that- an extension of our home.

"She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard." Proverbs 31:16

I may not be making a monetary profit off of my gardens, but I am making a profit all the same. The enjoyment I find from my gardens is a profit to me, and a true blessing.

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:5

No comments: