Thursday, May 10, 2007

For A Reason

"And now, do not be distressed and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you. 6 For two years now there has been famine in the land, and for the next five years there will not be plowing and reaping. 7 But God sent me ahead of you to preserve for you a remnant on earth and to save your lives by a great deliverance.

8 "So then, it was not you who sent me here, but God. He made me father to Pharaoh, lord of his entire household and ruler of all Egypt. 9 Now hurry back to my father and say to him, 'This is what your son Joseph says: God has made me lord of all Egypt. Come down to me; don't delay. 10 You shall live in the region of Goshen and be near me—you, your children and grandchildren, your flocks and herds, and all you have. 11 I will provide for you there, because five years of famine are still to come. Otherwise you and your household and all who belong to you will become destitute.'" Genesis 45:5-11

I love reading this passage in the Bible. Imagine how Joseph felt, confronting his brothers after all those years. It would have been so easy for him to be angry, but he wasn't. And he let his brothers know that he didn't blame them for what they did to him. He explained to them that everything happens for a reason. That God allowed everything bad to happen to Joseph so that on this day, he would be able to save his family.

This is an excellent story in the Bible to cling to in times of uncertainty. When we are going through something, but we're not sure why, we can remember Joseph, and remember that sometimes we go through trials for the good at the end. In Joseph's case, it was to save his family. In our case, it could be to save someone spiritually, or there could be other reasons. Andy and I are finding that what we have experienced is becoming beneficial to other people. Other people have seen our example of faith and are trying really hard to apply that to their own lives. That is truly amazing! If Andy's time off is beneficial to anyone it would be us, but to have it reach further... that just shows how awesome God is! That he can use our trials to help other people is such a blessing. It makes me truly grateful for what we've been through. I pray wholeheartedly that we can continue to be an example for others and that we can stay on the right path.


No comments: