Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Every Opportunity

"Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." Colossians 4:5-6

I can see the verse of the day is going to get me into trouble. :-) I popped in today and the first sentence just grabbed me. Ooh, that 's good. Be wise in the way you act towards outsiders. Outsiders in this case being the un-saved. How true is that. We want them to see us in a good light, we want our actions to speak for what we believe in. We want those who are not saved to look at us and go "huh, I want what they've got!" Right now we are living in a neighborhood that needs our example- but I wonder if we are making the best one we could? We literally are surrounded by people who are hurting- life just isn't good enough for them. And I do think that we've done pretty good at showing them what life is like for us...but still...perhaps it could be better. Maybe we are not making the most of every opportunity. Maybe when our elderly neighbor is out complaining about another ache or pain, we should be more open and let her know we'll be praying for that for her.

I do know that we have some challenges with some neighbors. We have children across the way who are, for lack of a better word, they are naughty kids. They really aren't very nice, yet they are still children. They don't know better- I know their home life isn't the best. And while I don't want my children playing with them much because I don't want their bad habits in my home, maybe my kids would rub off on them if they did play more often. I do know that sometimes when I am interacting with them, my conversation is not full of grace. I guess I need to work on that.

Make the most of every opportunity. How many opportunities are going to pass us by today? This is a good verse to keep in mind, and I am grateful that it has been brought to my attention today. May I make the most of EVERY opportunity today.

No comments: