Friday, May 18, 2007

Enjoyment is a Gift

"Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work—this is a gift of God. 20 He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart." Ecclesiastes 5:19-20

I love these two verses. I think the first verse here is actually saying several things. Think about how often you hear about the wealthy who are unhappy. They have everything money can buy, yet they still aren't happy. And then they find God, and because they are saved and fulfilled and have met their Jesus personally, they are able to enjoy the things they have worked hard for. I also think of the people who are struggling to make ends meet. They may not have much, but because they trust in God and believe that Jesus died for them, they can be as happy as the wealthy man, and feel as wealthy and fulfilled, even though they have little. Both men are blessed by a gift from God to enjoy what they have.

I also think there is something here that goes deeper. When God gives a man wealth and possessions... that is a key phrase I think. It says that the money that we work for is actually a gift from God. The jobs we have are God's way for us to be provided for. If you had your money and possessions due to fraudulent behavior, you probably wouldn't enjoy it as much. If you had a very nice expensive HDTV, but you stole it, you'd have a hard time enjoying that TV because of the means with which you received it. But by working hard and earning the money to purchase that HDTV, you can enjoy it even more.

Verse 20 is great to reflect on as well. He seldom reflects on the days of his life because God gives him gladness of heart. How cool is that! When I really think about that, it makes perfect sense. I don't look back and reflect on days gone by and talk about what a waste certain days have been. I don't look at a portion of my life with regret and wish that I could change things. Instead I am filled with gladness and joy for each day he brings me, and for the many blessings I have in my life. I am so busy enjoying what he has blessed me with, that I don't have time to mourn days gone by. That in itself can be a great gift to people who maybe have a spot in their life that wasn't very shiny. God is great, and even finds ways to fill our hearts with gladness so we don't waste time on the past, instead we can look forward to the days ahead.

Happy weekend!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been slack in reading this lately...sorry! I agree...everything we have is a gift from God and we are stuards of it. That makes it all so much enjoyable. I think God does want us to enjoy life while we are on earth, but that by no means, means that he doesn't love people with less as much. I think he gives us what we can handle and uses people in different ways and in different positions.

Unknown said...

Oh, or vice versa...He doesn't love people who have "more" any more than others. He sent Jesus for all of us and I think we are to use what He gives us to proclaim that and give Him glory. That can even include using TiVo or something like that to be hospitible or get someone into your home that might not otherwise come...could lead to a discussion about Jesus! Never know!

Erika W. said...

Lol Claire, I am sure that you are very busy right now! No need to apologize for not checking in. Life happens. :-)