Wednesday, May 02, 2007

A Complete Change

"Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

Just a week ago I was discussing this very verse. And I was discussing my everyday life and how God has changed my attitude towards each and every day. And I've come to realize over the last day or two that he hasn't just changed my attitude about daily life. I've also had a life-changing revelation about our money. This week Andy will get paid for the first time in several months. We've been looking forward to this- we have a day all planned to do some shopping and go out to dinner. I've been planning on going to the grocery store and literally filling my cart with anything and everything. And you know what? I don't want to do any of it.

I do want to go get my children some of the things that they need. But I don't want to wander through the mall, waiting for something to jump off the shelf into my cart, something we really don't need. This is a really strange feeling to me. I think that part of it is that I've asked God for some time to change my attitude about money and shopping, and I daresay that's been done for me. I am certain that I will still enjoy the occasional shopping trip as it comes up, but I don't have the desire to spend, spend, spend. Even though we will be able to. I am so excited about this! It means that we will be able to save accordingly! It means that our house is getting closer every day. It means that when a need comes up in our community, we will be able to help take care of it, and not just wish that we could.

I will still need to be mindful of the traps that will be laid out before me. But this right here is cold hard proof that God gives us what we ask for. I've desired so much to honor my husbands hard work by not spending all that he brings in, and I'm looking forward to the test. I thank God wholeheartedly for this new attitude, this new view. And I pray that I am able to maintain it indefinitely, and that I will be open to hearing when I am supposed to be generous. It would be very easy to become miserly, and that would be a terrible thing as well. May God keep me mindful of where our money is going and help me to manage it according to his purposes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

God tells us that He is continually working in us. I don't think we'll be completely changed until we are called home to Him. But we can consciously work on change while on earth...I think this requires asking God to give us the wisdom and strength to depend on im for everything. Change is ultimately only accomplished through the work of God in our lives...as you said!