Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Everyone Can Pray

The other day on a message board I visit I saw a message that made me think. There was a discussion about someone being diagnosed with a disease, and many people were replying with virtual hugs and prayers. One person replied something along the lines of "I'm not a religious person, so I can't send prayers." That made me think twice for many reasons. The first being that this person has no relationship with God whatsoever. I mean, you hear all the time of people who go to church on occasion, but I guess I don't know too many people who have absolutely no faith at all! And the second thing I thought was that anyone can pray! God hears the prayers of everyone- regardless of a prior relationship with him.

"Then Peter replied, “I see very clearly that God shows no favoritism. 35 In every nation he accepts those who fear him and do what is right." Acts 10:34,35

"He is the one all the prophets testified about, saying that everyone who believes in him will have their sins forgiven through his name.” Acts 10:43

Everyone. And there is no favoritism. Anyone and everyone can pray to God and be heard. Everyone! God hears the prayers of both believers and unbelievers. Everyone who is a believer now was once an unbeliever, and God heard us when we first called him to enter our lives-would he do no less for everyone else? Acts 10:31 says "Your prayers have been heard." God hears the prayers of every person in every nation. Do you have something you'd like to talk to God about? Go ahead, he is listening, and waiting. He wants to hear what you have to say to him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you...sometimes, God may actually use the "favorable answer" of an unbeliever's prayer to draw them to Himself. God can use anyone that He desires regardless of their eternal "status." HOWEVER, I must say that I would rather someone who is not going to pray, not say they will and then go off and NOT do it. I guess seeing that comment gives US an opportunity to pray for that person and their heart's attention to God.

Erika W. said...

I used to be like that Claire. :-) Someone would be going through something, and the standard answer was "we're praying for you". And then I'd never give it another thought. I'm so glad I've allowed that to change. SO when I look someone in the eye and tell them I'm praying for them, I know I am and will, and I can be a source of encouragement.