Tuesday, January 02, 2007

God is God

In 1 Samuel 30, we find David a troubled man. Life was so horrible to him at the time, that his friends and comrades wanted to stone him for leading them into misery. During this time, David turned to God to help him get through the time of misery. In verse 6 we see that, "David found strength in the Lord his God." David brought to his own mind that God would take care of him and see him through, and he also discovered a couple of other things, that we find in Psalm 40.

1. David found that God has no equal here in Psalm 40:5.
Many, O LORD my God,
are the wonders you have done.
The things you planned for us
no one can recount to you;
were I to speak and tell of them,
they would be too many to declare.

2. David found that God is a God of mercy, love, and faithfulness in verse 11:
Do not withhold your mercy from me, O LORD;
may your love and your truth always protect me.

3. David knew that God was thinking of him, in verse 17.
Yet I am poor and needy;
may the Lord think of me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
O my God, do not delay.

4. David also learned in verse 17 that God was his helper and his savior.

Psalm 40 is a beautiful chapter, full of encouragement and realities about God. To me it is very uplifting to read it and see that God really does care about me! He does! And he cares about you too! Not just on a general, he cares about people sort of way. God cares in a specific "you are the apple of his eye" sort of way. Quite amazing to think about that. And while David was a man after God's own heart, it's also encouraging to see that even he had rough times and sought out God for comfort and encouragement. It makes us no less human to be going through a rough patch. But what we do have is our God to get us through.

I'll leave off today with Psalm 40:3.

He has given me a new song to sing,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see what he has done and be amazed.
They will put their trust in the Lord.

I have out my trust in my God. Have you?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I trust God...I trust that He will draw me to Him and give me the desire to draw near to Him. Sunday, Monday, AND today (sermon, devotion, lunch time meeting) I heard about intimacy with God and how that requires humility. I think God is telling me something. I pray that I will turn away from pride and humble myself before Him so that I can see Him and be like Him, after His own heart like David, who recognized that humility is necessary for intimacy with God (Psalm 51).

Erika W. said...

wow Claire! It does sound like God is saying something. It's amazing to me when you start hearing the same thing over and over. It's a sign that God really does care about me- and that in itself can be very humbling.