Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Fear

I really like this promise. Here is John 14:27:

“I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid."

How can you not love that? God is promising us that we never need to be afraid again. As a child of God, we need have no fear. This can be extremely comforting to remember, especially as a parent. Fear can be a mighty force- there are some days where I really don't want Abigail to go to school- especially in the days following a school tragedy. It is at those times that I can call on God's promise, and ask him to protect my little girl, and take away my fear. And he always does.

There are times where I become afraid driving- I'm afraid that someone else will lose control and we will have a crash, or when I am walking through a parking lot alone, I'm often afraid that I will be attacked. God can take that fear away from me and give me peace as I go through my day. Because I am a child of God, I need have no fear, and that is hard to remember sometimes. I need not fear for my life, because I know if my life ended today that I would be in the arms of my Lord. I need not fear for my family's lives, because I know if they were taken away, they would be in the presence of God, and I would reunite with them later. Fear can cause us to do strange things. I seriously contemplated homeschooling my children simply out of fear. Homeschooling is so not for me, but I almost went through with it anyway. I really had to ask God for peace about sending my children to school, and my little girl is being such a fantastic witness to her friends, I imagine that will become so much more the older she gets.

We need not be afraid ever again, for the Holy Spirit is with us at all times to give us peace hen we need it. Jesus left us with a mighty gift when he went back to his Father's side. It would do me very well to remember that and ask for his peace when I feel that twinge of fear rising. He is the great comforter and will keep us safe and at peace with our surroundings.


No comments: