Monday, December 18, 2006

Jehovah-Jireh - the LORD will provide

God is the self-existent one and wants to meets our needs, the ones He created in His image. Thus, in conjunction with His name, Jehovah, we can describe what He is for us...today we will look at Him as our provider. In Genesis 22, we see God's provision for Abraham. God had asked Abraham to take his only son, the one he had waited so long for, and offer him as a sacrifice to God. I don't have children, but I find it hard to believe that I could sacrifice my child. Abraham, however, had faith in God as a covenant keeping God and as a God that would provide; he took Isaac with him to Mt. Moriah and prepared to offer him. Even when Isaac asked where the lamb for sacrifice was, Abraham simply replied "God will provide for Himself the lamb for the burnt offering, my son," still expecting that he was to kill his own son. God, in fact, did provide a lamb. When He saw Abraham's faith and obedience, He stopped him from killing Isaac and provided a ram for sacrifice. Abraham obeyed (Even when it required great sacrifice) and God provided.

God has also been the ultimate provider. Just as the first time we see this name, Jehovah-Jireh, a father is offering his son for sacrifice, God as Jehovah-Jireh offered His Son as the ultimate, PERFECT, complete sacrifice for us...to cover our sins.

Jireh means "to see." This comes to mean provide because God sees our need and that it is met. My friends, even though God sees our needs does not mean that we should not seek Him and ask Him for provision. We are instructed to pray asking and believing. He wants us to come to Him, seeking Him to fulfill ALL our needs: those here on earth and those that are eternal. Worship Him in obedience and trust Him, knowing that He is your provider!

1 comment:

Erika W. said...

This always amazes me. You are absolutely right, I know I do not posses the faith to obey and willingly give up my children. The amount of faith that Abraham had in his God, his provider, is staggering to me.

God does provide. At this moment, he is providing me with the necessary strength to just be mommy and take care of my little ones. Last night (of course) it was Zander's turn, waking us up with croup. And while I was holding him outside in the cold air to soothe his lungs, I was praying not only for him, but for myself, that I would maintain the strength necessary to nurse both my kids to health. And I know they are both on the mend, but I also know that despite my lack of sleep the last two nights, that God will provide me with the necessary compassion and strength to see them to 100%. I am so grateful to have a provider to turn too when I am in need.